About this group:
In the words of the poet Adrienne Rich, “Poetry can open locked chambers of possibility, restore numbed zones to feeling, recharge desire.”
Come find your own points of access into poetry across centuries, cultures, forms, and styles — and (if you wish) try your hand at writing and sharing some poems of your own. Participation can be totally solo and self-paced, or as part of a group of fellow poetry seekers and lovers. Each Dive is different, and includes original poems by Jena, links to poets who may be new to you, and invitations to stretch your writing wings in all kinds of new ways.
How will it work?
Three emails will land in your inbox each week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
This Dive is special in that some of the poem prompts are by YOU, participants in former Dives.
Each email will bring you a photograph and poem, along with some favorite lines and verses from some of my favorite poets. You can use these as meditations, ways to expose yourself to a range of poets and voices, and/or as prompts for your own poems and freewrites.
An optional Facebook group is open to all participants, where we will gather to share our own and read each other’s words, to exchange poems that have moved, changed, enraged, enlightened, and delighted us, and to remember and experience the power poetry has to bring folks together — beyond all the dividing lines.
* You also have the option of signing up for a 30-minute private consult with Jena, to review and discuss one poem. Schedule an “a la carte” coaching session and Jena will contact you to schedule your time. Jena will pop into the group throughout each week to read, comment, and connect. She will not necessarily read and comment on every poem. To guarantee specific feedback on your work, please be sure to grab a spot for a private consult.
None. Poets are welcome, yes. And this is poetry to the people, for the people, and by the people. There will be no obscurity, grandiosity, or other words ending in “ity” that perpetuate the idea that poetry is inaccessible, dull, or otherwise not your thing.
Who should join?
* Seasoned poets who love anything poetry-related
* Folks who wish they “got” poetry and don’t know where to begin
* Folks who recite iambic pentameter in their dreams
* Folks who have no idea what I just wrote (no matter!)
NOTE: There is no size limit to this party — the more, the merrier. If you’re a quiet type, you can simply enjoy the emails and read them in your own timing. And if you’re a party-on-dude type, the Facebook group will be hella fun and all kinds of poetic.
Upon checkout, you will also have the option to sponsor a spot for someone who would not otherwise have the financial means to join us.
“my special place”
“allowed me to begin”
“nourished my life”
“helped me to break through”
“a privilege and pleasure”
“eloquent and sensitive feedback”
“wonderful, sacred space”
“enriched my life with such beauty”
“more than I ever hoped for”
“the most amazing writers on the planet”
“saved my life”
“best four consecutive weeks ever”
“most amazing writing experience that I have ever been a part of”