April may be National Poetry Month, but now we get to celebrate poetry four times every year! What began in April, 2016 has become a quarterly party, and you’re invited.
Come find your own points of access into poetry across centuries, cultures, forms, and styles — and (if you wish) try your hand at writing and sharing some poems of your own. Participation can be totally solo and self-paced, or as part of a group of fellow poetry seekers and lovers.
* Three emails will land in your inbox each week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
* Each email will bring you a photograph and poem, along with some favorite lines and verses from from some of my favorite poets. You can use these as meditations, ways to expose yourself to a range of poets and voices, and/or as as prompts for your own poems and freewrites.
* An optional Facebook group is open to all participants, where we will gather to share our own and read each other’s words, to exchange poems that have moved, changed, enraged, enlightened, and delighted us, and to remember and experience the power poetry has to bring folks together — beyond all the dividing lines.
In the words of one July participant, Dive Into Poetry is “a chest of wonders” :: read more.
October 1-31, 2017
Sliding Scale: $31 / $62 / $93
That’s $ 1 /$2 / $3 per day!
None. Poets are welcome, yes. And this is poetry to the people, for the people, and by the people. There will be no obscurity, grandiosity, or other words ending in “ity” that perpetuate the idea that poetry is inaccessible, dull, or otherwise not your thing.
Who should say yes:
* Seasoned poets who love anything poetry-related
* Folks who wish they “got” poetry and don’t know where to begin
* Folks who recite iambic pentameter in their dreams
* Folks who have no idea what I just wrote (no matter!)
Count Me In!
* Choose a payment option from the drop down box
* Contact me with any questions.
Note: There is no size limit to this party — the more, the merrier. If you’re a quiet type, you can simply enjoy the emails and read them in your own timing. And if you’re a party-on-dude type, the Facebook group will be hella fun and all kinds of poetic.
“I can’t recall when I’ve learned so much from reading other people’s poetry. I have mined your words and your thoughts for nuggets to encourage me to dig deeper, imagine greater, break the boundaries of a language that sometimes restricts me. ” ~ Jeanne Argoff
Here are some snippets from past and repeat participants:
“allowed me to begin”
“nourished my life”
“helped me to break through”
“a privilege and pleasure”
“eloquent and sensitive feedback”
“wonderful, sacred space”
“enriched my life with such beauty”
“more than I ever hoped for”
“the most amazing writers on the planet”
“saved my life”
“best four consecutive weeks ever”
“most amazing writing experience that I have ever been a part of”
“I used to run away from the thought of poetry, but have just begun to connect with its beauty — particularly through the writers in Jena’s writing groups.” – Margaret Keen