What: Three nights and days in a serene and beautiful natural setting. Space to listen to your own voice, get your words flowing, and see what happens when you give yourself permission to not know in advance and to let go of outcomes. Our focus will be on presence, playfulness, and the poetry of showing up — not on polishing or producing a certain number of pages. In other words, this is NOT a traditional writing retreat. If you are looking for a craft-oriented workshop or work on a specific body of work, this retreat may not be right for you!
Where: Siasconset (or ‘Sconset), Nantucket. The cottage features cathedral ceilings in the newly renovated kitchen and living room, both of which have French doors out to a private porch. It’s a short walk to the village and beach and bluff path overlooking ocean, with a shuttle bus available to town. Expect peace and quiet and a star-studded night sky.
Who: A small group of women and gender non-binary folks who wish to gather to write and rejuvenate for a few days and nights. Community and connection, solitude and rest, and delicious home-cooked food. Maybe even a room of your own.
“There was no sense of competition or exclusion.
It was a very inclusive, nurturing, safe, but not sappy or precious, space. It was seamless.”
* We’ll begin on Thursday at 4:30pm with an opening circle and creative exercise, followed by light fare and fun at the cottage on Thursday night.
* Each morning, breakfast will be provided. Expect homemade bread and granola, local eggs, strong coffee, and a variety of teas.
* An informal lunch will also be provided on Friday. Friday dinner and Saturday lunch are on your own.
* Plan on a delicious group celebration dinner out Saturday night.
* A variety of prompts and timed writing exercises will provide opportunities to write indoors and out, weather permitting. Expect bursts of freewriting interspersed with languorous periods of reading our work out loud, reflecting on each other’s words and stories in a space free of judgment and pressure, and chunks of unscheduled time to write, rest, or explore.
* We will complete our time together Sunday morning, wrapping up before noon.
“Unfurl was a gift on so many levels.
Touching the minds and hearts of fellow writers, face to face, in a warmly supportive setting was truly food for the soul at a time when I needed it most. I appreciated the pause in my routine and the opportunity to immerse myself in the company of like-minded, open-hearted women who are on a similar writing journey. Your generosity of spirit and the beautiful way you hold space for writers, both online and off, is extraordinary.”
~Sue Ann Gleason
The cottage has four bedrooms that share two full bathrooms. Additionally, there are TWO spots available for folks who’d like to attend the retreat but find their own lodging.
Private room - queen bed (SOLD OUT)
Shared room - twin beds (SOLD OUT)
Retreat only, no lodging (2 available)
“There was a feeling of profound permission being together in person that astounded me, really.
The level of trust and truth and the total beauty of everyone’s words filled me. That’s a very special state of being.” ~Lisa Moskowitz Sadikman
Travel & Transportation
(not included in retreat cost)
Once you register, Roberta will be happy to walk you through details on how best to get to the island and cottage.
* Air travel to Boston’s Logan International Airport
* The Hyannis ferry has fast and slow options :: details here
* The fast ferry costs $77 round-trip and takes one hour
* The slow ferry costs $37 round-trip and takes two and one-quarter hours
* You may bring your car, or we will help you arrange for a ride to and from the ferry to the cottage. Parking in Hyannis costs approx. $5-10/day.
Payment, cancellations, and refunds
* Installment plans available upon request only. Please contact Jena to discuss.
* Deadline to register is February 28, 2019
* Jena will be staying in a shared room at the cottage.
* A six-person minimum is required. If the minimum is not met by the deadline, all payments will be refunded.
* If you register and cancel before the 2/28/19 deadline, you will get a refund minus a $200 processing fee.
* If you cancel after the 2/28/19 deadline, you will forfeit the entire registration fee.
Jena Schwartz is known for weaving her passion for language, poetry, storytelling, and healing. A coach since 2003, Jena began leading online writing groups in 2014, and has since shared her unique flavor of fierce encouragement for writing + life with hundreds of people around the world. In addition to blogging for over 12 years, she has self-published three collections of poetry and creative nonfiction. She believes in writing as a vehicle for exploring our personal and collective truths. Jena lives in Amherst, MA with her wife Mani, kids Aviva and Pearl, and English bulldog, Chalupa.